About the Department
The Sanskrit Department of present Cotton University is one among the few departments with which Cotton College started functioning in the year 1901. Prof. Presh Nath Lahiri was the first head of the department. The department has the distinction of being one among the first six departments that offered Honours course in B.A classes(1913-1914) under Calcutta University. The Post Graduate course under Gauhati University was started in 1992. In 2014, the syllabuses under Cotton College State University were started.At present time , the deptt. has four faculties and a 4th grade employee. The deptt. has a Seminar Library with about 400 books.